In March 2020, Governor Greg Abbott announced a temporary waiver for certain vehicle titles and registration requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This waiver will end at 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, April 14. So if you’re late, it’s time to renew!
The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) is reminding Texans to complete any overdue transaction now.
“You don’t have to wait for the deadline,” said Whitney Brewster, CEO of TxDMV. “The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles continued to offer registration renewal and other important services throughout the waiver period. Fortunately, many Texans are already complying with the requirements. ”
Renew your vehicle registration
“Atascosa County offers several convenient options to renew your registration and complete other transactions that have been temporarily canceled due to the pandemic,” said Loretta Holley, Atascosa County tax assessor. “If you must visit our office, we have health and safety measures in place to protect our customers and employees.”
There are four ways to renew your vehicle registration:
1. Online: visit TxDMV. gov or www.Texas.gov. It’s the fastest, cheapest way to renew and you can save $ 1. Online renewal is available up to nine months after the expiration date of your registration.
2. By Mail: Return the bottom portion of your Registration Renewal, Payment, and other required information to the Atascosa County Tax Office in Jourdanton.
3. In person: For Atascosa County, you can visit the tax office located at 1001 Oak Street in Jourdanton. The Lytle Substation at 1567 FM 3175 in Lytle is also open Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
4. HEB in Pleasanton or Lytle: can only be expired nine months and you MUST bring the renewal form with you if you buy from HEB.
A successful vehicle inspection
Before renewing your vehicle registration, you must obtain a successful vehicle inspection at any state vehicle inspection station of your choice, unless your vehicle is exempt from inspection requirements.
The expiring temporary exemption covers the following services:
• Initial vehicle registration
• Renewal of vehicle registration
• Vehicle titling
• Renewal of parking signs for people with permanent disabilities
• Temporary permits of 30 days
For questions regarding vehicle titles and registrations in Atascosa County, please call the Atascosa County Tax Office in Jourdanton at 830-769-3842. Their lobby is open Monday Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and their drive-thru is open from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
If you require assistance in completing your transaction, please contact the Atascosa County Tax Assessor’s Office at 830-769-3142.