Updated guidance for NSW home and community aged care providers responding to emergencies

Date published:

October 31, 2022


Subscriber Announcement

Targeted audience:

Health sector

The Department would like to clarify NSW State’s emergency avenues for requesting the assistance we promoted in our previous post on emergency response for home and community aged care providers.

All aged care providers are required to continue to provide appropriate care in accordance with their emergency risk management plan, relevant aged care program and to provide regular counseling to staff, family and care recipients. The safety of care recipients must be a priority at all times.

To ensure appropriate support is provided as quickly as possible, aged care providers, care recipients and their families or representatives should follow the NSW Government’s pathways for seeking assistance:

  • In New South Wales
    • Dial triple zero (000) for police, fire and ambulance in case of emergency
    • Call NSW State Emergency Services via 132 500 for help with floods and storms, including damaged roofs, rising flood waters, trees fallen on buildings or storm damage.

If you are in a life-threatening situation, you should always call Triple zero (000) for police, fire department or ambulance.